August 2, 2022 - CAMPFIRE BAN
Effective at 3:00 pm Mountain Time on August 2, 2022 campfires will be prohibited within the District of Sparwood and will remain in effect until the public is otherwise notified. Prohibitions on Category 2 and Category 3 open burning continue to remain in place as hot and dry conditions are expected to continue, elevating the fire danger rating in Sparwood to ‘Extreme.’
These prohibitions apply to all public and private land unless specified otherwise in Fire Services Bylaw 974, 2008.
Anyone found in contravention of an open burning prohibition may be issued a ticket up to $250. If the contravention causes or contributes to a wildfire, the person responsible may be ordered to pay all firefighting and associated costs.
A campfire is defined as any fire smaller than 0.6 metres high by 0.6 metres wide.
In addition to campfires, Category 2 and Category 3 the following activities are also prohibited:
- The use of fireworks
- The use of sky lanterns
- The use of burn barrels or burn cages of any size or description
- The use of binary exploding targets
- The use of tiki and similar kinds of torches
- The use of chimineas
- The use of outdoor stoves or other portable campfire apparatus without a Canadian Standards Association (CSA) or Underwriter Laboratories of Canada (ULC) rating
- The use of air curtain burners
Call Sparwood Fire Services at 250.425.0558 to report an unattended campfire or open burning violation. To report a wildfire, please call 911 immediately. For the latest information on fire restrictions, current wildfire activity, burning restrictions, road closures and air quality advisories:
- in Sparwood, visit https://sparwood.ca/residents/emergency-services/
- in British Columbia, visit www.bcwildfire.ca.
For more information please contact:
250.425.0558 | email@example.com
The Mountain Shadows Campground is Operated by the Sparwood Futures Society: